If you have just been diagnosed with diabetes, it is time to stock up on diabetic aids. You will need diabetic aids to manage and control your diabetes. The following items should be kept by all diabetics:

  • Glucose Meters or Glucose Monitoring Systems
  • Insulin Pumps or Insulin Needles
  • Test Strips
  • Control Solutions
  • Lancet Devices


Many people use Liberty Medical for their diabetic supplies because it accepts Medicare and most private Insurance Plans. Some people can receive diabetic supplies at no cost with this company. Another place you can turn for diabetic supplies is AmericanDiabetesWholesale.com. They advertise prices of up to 70% off. DiabeticExpress.com may also provide you with a low price solution for diabetic aids. They also advertise the possibility of getting your diabetic supplies for free.

Many people with diabetes have Medicare coverage. Medicare Part B does cover self-testing equipment and supplies. You must get a prescription form your doctor stating that you have been diagnosed, how many test strips and lancets you need a month, and what kind of meter he recommends. Therapeutic shoes may also be covered by Medicare. Normally, Medicare will pay for 80% of the diabetic aids, and you must pay for the remaining 20%. If your doctor will not provide the necessary information, you may have to pay the entire amount.


Aids for Diabetic Complications


It would be nice if you could get away with just buying a glucose meter and some test strips, but for many diabetics this is not the case. Many complications may arisethroughout your life due to diabetes.In cases such as these, diabetic aids are needed. For example, you may need special shoes or shoe pads if you have foot complications, infections may call for extra bandages, or you may need a bigger monitor if you have eye problems. Conditions which may require the purchase of more diabetic aids are:

  • Eye Complications
  • Skin Complications
  • Foot Complications
  • Heart Disease
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Mental Health
  • Hearing Loss
  • Oral Health Complications


There are many ways to save money on diabetic aids. Work with your doctor to determine which diabetic aids are right for you, and express the need to fit them into your budget.For example, try asking your doctor if there are cheaper alternatives for the monitor or testing strips that he/she prescribes. Don’t hesitate to speak to your insurance company as well; they usually want to save money as much as you do. Learning to keep your blood sugar levels normal through diet and exercise is not only going to help your health, but also save you money on diabetic aids in the long run.