What is a type 1.5 diabetic? A type 1.5 diabetic is an adult who does not immediately require insulin for treatment, they are not usually overweight, and they have little or no insulin resistance. When tested, they are found to have anti-bodies which attack their beta cells. This type of diabetes is often called Slow Onset Type 1 or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA).

Many people with this type are often diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes because they are older and initially respond to diabetes medications. One study performed in Italy found that 84% of people with Type 2 diabetes had insulin resistance; however, the other 16% did not. These individuals were type 1.5 diabetics. In other words, a type 1.5 diabetic is similar to a type-2 diabetic, but they have an ongoing autoimmune condition like those of type-1 diabetes.

A misdiagnosis of a type 1.5 diabetic causes the person to take unneeded oral medications. A type 1.5 diabetic can still manage to produce insulin with diet, exercise, and oral medications. Usually, however, a type 1.5 diabetic needs insulin therapy within 5 years. A type 1.5 diabetic is often considered to be a type-1 diabetic with a slower onset.


Symptoms of a Type 1.5 Diabetic


Symptoms of a type 1.5 diabetic are basically the same as other well-known types of diabetes. These include increased urination, increased thirst, increased appetite, weight loss, and blurred vision. Many diabetics of this type are under the age of 50 when diagnosed, have a BMI of less than 25, and have a family or personal history of autoimmune disease.


Treatment of a Type 1.5 Diabetic


At the time of diagnosis, it is believed that insulin should be required immediately, or at least as soon as possible. A type 1.5 diabetic usually responds well to oral diabetes medications at first, but beta cells continued to be destroyed. So, there are many opposing views on how treatment should be handled. Also, it is believed that drugs such as metformin actually put the type 1.5 diabetic at a risk of even more metabolic disorder complications.

A type 1.5 diabetic is often more prone to depression and eating disorders as a result of living with a chronic illness. Therefore, counseling or therapy is recommended. Support groups may also play a positive role in the life of a person with type 1.5 diabetes. Patients with this type of diabetes should be educated about diet, exercise, and stress management. They also need to understand how to manage their particular type of diabetes effectively.